We can’t believe it’s been two weeks already, but here you go: the new edition of Writer’s Block Happenings! Check out what WB-approved activities are happening in Amsterdam during the upcoming weeks.
- Exhibition: Bad Thoughts – collection Martijn and Jeannette Sanders (Stedelijk Museum). Private collection Martijn and Jeanette Sanders containing a diverse selection of photographs, drawings, and graphic design @ Stedelijk Museum, July 20 – November 9.
- Exhibition: Under Construction: New Positions in American Photography. Group exhibition of a new generation of image-makers reassessing the value of the photographic image in the 21st century. @ Foam, September 17 –December 10.
- Exhibition: Breitner schetst Amsterdam @ Stadsarchief, October 10 – 1 February 1.
- Film: Locke (Knight, 2013). An inventive film starring Tom Hardy. From October 9 and onwards.
- Film: Under the Skin (Glazer, 2013). Estranging science fiction thriller starring Scarlett Johansson. From October 16 and onwards.
- Film: St. Vincent (Melfi, 2014). Feel good film about a young boy who befriends his misanthropic neighbour (Bill Murray). From October 23 and onwards.
- Film: Special screening of Rear Window (Hitchcock, 1954) @ Kriterion, October 27 (€5).
- Literature: Etcetera book club meeting The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Díaz. October 29 @ CREA café, 20.00.
- Event: Etcetera’s Halloween Drinks. October 30 @ Molly Malone’s, 19.00.
- Film: 20,000 Days on Earth (Forsyth and Pollard, 2014). Film about legendary writer and musician Nick Cave on his 20,000th day on earth. From October 30 and onwards.
Event: DASARTS presents: The Tracks of Utopia
Wednesday 15 October, 8 pm, free admission; reservations: firstname.lastname@example.org
Fed up with city life, climate activists Isabelle Fremeaux and John Jordan set out across Europe in search of Utopian communities. This resulted in a book-film about Utopian communities in Europe, Les Sentiers de l’Utopie.
Event: Freedom Lecture #7 with Ade Darmawan (English)
Thursday 23 October, 8 pm, buy tickets at debalie.nl (€10/€7,50 for adults/students)
The work of artist Ade and artists’ initiative ruangrupa is closely interlinked with the socio-political conditions and human right issues present in contemporary Indonesia. By using street art, pop art and involving young people with their projects, ruangrupa is very popular with the younger generation.
Event: PINT Bokbier Festival 2014
24-26 October, Beurs van Berlage, admission TBA (tickets at the door, €10,- in 2013)
The consumer organisation PINT has been organising a celebration of bokbiers since 1978.
Growing from a small event in a single cafe, the weekend now attracts over 12.000 people in the beautiful 19th century building of the Beurs van Berlage.
Do you happen to have a really good suggestion for the next edition of WB Happenings? Let us know through email@example.com, and we might include your suggestion in the next edition!